Brigstock has been the largest village within Rockingham Forest since medieval times and the population, exceeding nine hundred since 1500, has remained relatively constant since that time. Rockingham Forest was a royal hunting forest designated by William the Conqueror around the time of the Domesday survey. The forest was split into three administrative areas (known as bailiwicks) and Brigstock was the administrative centre for the bailiwick of "Bricstoc".
Forest officers held manorial courts at Brigstock Manor House until they were abolished in 1817. 18th century maps show that most of Brigstock parish was covered by ridge and furrow with a few hedged fields immediately around the village. The present style of the village, with its closed plots containing gardens and small barns or outbuildings with a variety of uses interspersed amongst its dwellings, was established at the time of enclosure which occurred comparatively late to the rest of England. The style was reinforced when villagers received portions of land close to the village in compensation for commons rights lost during enclosure. It is only recently that the working farms within the bounds of the village have been lost.
Historic Features The parish church of Brigstock, St Andrews, is Saxon in origin. The church contains a semi-circular stair turret and nave dating from the late tenth century. Brigstock's Saxon tower is one of only three in the country. The church also comprises a Norman north aisle, a 13th century Lady Chapel, a tower raised in the 14th century and a later spire.
Brigstock Manor House dates in part from the mid-12th century. It is believed to have been used by King John as a hunting lodge at the turn of the 13th century and was later occupied by the Montagu family.
The village market cross, situated in Hall Hill, has been dated from 1586 and the weekly market was held here until 1623.
Wallis' factory at the junction of Back Lane and Old Dry Lane was a clothing factory from 1872 to 1979.
The kennels of the Woodland Pytchley Hunt have been situated on Kennel Hill since 1873.
The Coronation Oak, planted to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, stands at the junction of Grafton Road and Sudborough Road.